A skunk sprayed my dog in the mouth. Help!
Learn facts about skunk spray and what to do if your dog is sprayed by a skunk.
A direct skunk spray in your dog’s mouth is an urgent medical matter, and no time for home remedies. Your veterinarian should help you closely monitor your dog’s health as there can be health-related consequences even days after all the symptoms have gone.
Facts about skunk spray:
- Skunk spray can be quite toxic if it is ingested
- The most common immediate symptoms of skunk spray ingestion may include vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions and even shock. Long-term damage can include anemia and kidney disease. Your dog may even develop some ulcers in the mouth and lip area from the contact with the skunk spray. All these symptoms are known as Skunk Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Have your veterinarian monitor your dog’s health closely. They have the equipment and medications to help alleviate your dog’s discomfort as well as to detect future permanent damage early.
Note: All content provided on HealthyPet.com, is meant for educational purposes only on health care and medical issues that may affect pets and should never be used to replace professional veterinary care from a licensed veterinarian. This site and its services do not constitute the practice of any veterinary medical health care advice, diagnosis or treatment.