Basket Muzzle Training
Training your dog to wear a basket muzzle can help protect you and your canine companion from uncomfortable and dangerous situations. Basket muzzles are the safest form of muzzles because they allow pets to pant while preventing all forms of bites (dogs can bite through cloth muzzles and still inflict small nips to humans). Even the nicest dogs will bite out of instinct when they are in pain. Training your dog to wear a muzzle before an injury occurs will decrease the stress (for you and your dog) during an emergency. With the following training tips, you dog will learn to love the muzzle:
- Buy a basket muzzle that comfortably fits your dog. Basket muzzles that fit your pet can be found at most pet stores or by talking to your veterinarian.
- Place your canine’s favorite treat in the bottom of the muzzle so your dog gets used to putting their face into the muzzle (piece of a chicken breast, piece of cheese, or other favorite treat).
- Place muzzle on (with treat) regularly so your dog learns to associate the muzzle positively (he will see it as a treat dispenser).
- Keep the muzzle with your first aid kit so it is easily accessible in an emergency.
- If your pet travels with you, keep a spare muzzle in your car.
- Keep yourself and others safe with this quick training protocol.
For more information regarding muzzle training, consult with your veterinarian. As with all pet health care issues, your veterinarian is the best source for information concerning your individual pet’s health care needs.
Note: All content provided on HealthyPet.com, is meant for educational purposes only on health care and medical issues that may affect pets and should never be used to replace professional veterinary care from a licensed veterinarian. This site and its services do not constitute the practice of any veterinary medical health care advice, diagnosis or treatment.